Thursday, September 23, 2010

I am a cooking machine

So I have had a fascination with Julia Childs since seeing the movie "Julie & Julia", and it inspired me to get her 2 volume set of Mastering The Art of French Cooking. That woman knew what she was talking about!! Not to mention, the recipes are laid out in such a way that anyone who can read can cook like this. Just like Julie said in the movie, it's like she's in the kitchen with me.
I experimented first with the Boeuf  Bourguignonne (Beef stew in Red Wine, with Bacon, Onions & Mushrooms). I admit to omitting the mushrooms because I cannot stand them , but otherwise completely stuck to the recipe and after 3 hours in the oven, simmering slowly, it turned out BEAUTIFULLY!! Now, I unfortunately cannot use Jason as a taster due to his vegetarianism, however, Dawn & Andy happened to be here and they were happy to test the recipe and I am glad to say they had 2 servings and complimented me up & down. It was all Julia though, I just followed the recipe.
Last night I decided to make her Gratin Jurassien (Scalloped potatos w/cream & cheese) along with Carottes Glaces (Glazed carrots) and a filet mignon. The 2 side dishes are vegetarian so Jason was happy to try them both (along with the rigatoni & vodka sauce he had for dinner) and then  proceeding to fall into a carb coma on the couch. SUCCESS!! The potatos turned out perfect!! I had no idea that for this type of recipe you use what is called a "boiling" potato (ie., red potato or yukon gold) because they are less starchy and hold their shape better when cooked versus a russet potato which is very starchy and gets mushy - hence why they are perfect for baking!!  The carrots also turned out great, and I had no idea that a little vegetable broth, butter & a touch of sugar could make a cooked carrot sooo tasty.

So I took a few photos to show the process (all of which was quite easy). *Can I recommend  for slicing the potatoes that if you have a food processor that has a slicing blade, use that instead of trying to hand slice all the potatoes. It saves a good deal of time.*







My cooking bible











Before











Putting her in the oven...











After - YUM!!











All this yummy food in my MULTH







Wonder what recipe I'll try next....

No comments:

Post a Comment